Berry-Filled Lemon Cake
This dessert starts with a convenient boxed cake mix. "The cake and glaze have a mild lemon flavor that's delightful paired with fresh berries," says Leanne Kistler of San Antonio, Texas.
14 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, egg substitute, yogurt
- and lemon peel; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for
- 2 minutes.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at
- 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a
- wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine sugar and lemon juice; drizzle over cake. Fill center of
- cake with strawberries. Yield: 14 servings.
Editor's Note: Due to the egg substitute, this cake does not rise very high.
Nutrition Facts: One serving equals 189 calories, 254 mg sodium, trace cholesterol, 38 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm protein,