Berry Compote Topping
“This recipe is fantastic served over toasted slices of pound cake as well as warm-from-the-oven biscuits!” Try it over ice cream, too! Wanda Wedekind — West Frankfort, Illinois
18 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the water,
- lemon juice and syrup. Stir in the berries. Bring to a boil over
- medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve immediately or transfer to freezer containers. May be frozen
- for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a
- saucepan and heat through. Yield: 6 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/3 cup equals 101 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.