Beets in Orange Sauce
To ensure your family eats their veggies, our Test Kitchen home economists suggest you top beets with an irresistible orange glaze.
More Sauce Recipes
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 8 whole fresh beets
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 medium navel orange, halved and sliced, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Place beets in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Drain
- and cool slightly. Peel and slice; place in a serving bowl and keep
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and pepper; stir
- in orange juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in orange
- slices if desired and peel. Pour over beets. Yield: 8 servings.
Editor's Note: A 15-ounce can of sliced beets may be substituted for the fresh beets. Drain the canned beets and omit the first step of the recipe.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 63 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 39 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.