Beet Spinach Salad
A healthy and colorful combination of beets, spinach, orange and apples. Tossing with a vinaigrette keeps this salad figure-friendly. —Darleen Brenden, Salem, Oregon
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 6 small fresh beets (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium orange, sectioned
- 3 tablespoons raspberry hazelnut vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Place in a Dutch oven and cover
- with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-60
- minutes or until tender. Remove from the water; cool. Peel beets and
- cut into 1-in. wedges.
- Divide spinach among four plates. Top with apples, orange and beets.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette; sprinkle with hazelnuts. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 175 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 252 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.