Beer Cheese Fondue
This thick fondue originated in my kitchen when I didn't have all of the ingredients I needed to make the recipe I initially planned to prepare. Served with bread cubes, it has since become a staple, particularly while we watch football games on television.
-Chrystie Wear, Greensboro, North Carolina
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 to 4 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Place bread cubes in a single layer in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x
- 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 5-7 minutes or until lightly
- crisp, stirring twice.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in beer. Bring to a boil;
- reduce heat to medium-low. Toss cheese and flour; stir into saucepan
- until melted. Stir in 2 tablespoons cream.
- Transfer to a small fondue pot or 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Keep warm;
- add additional cream if fondue thickens. Serve with toasted bread
- cubes. Yield: about 3 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1/4 cup equals 261 calories, 13 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 469 mg sodium,