- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups finely shredded uncooked potatoes
- Additional all-purpose flour
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and
- pepper. Add meat, a few pieces at a time; toss to coat.
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions in oil until the meat is
- browned on all sides and onions are tender. Stir in the broth,
- water, vinegar, carrots and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is almost
- tender. Discard bay leaves.
- In a large bowl, beat egg; add the crumbs, flour, parsley, onion and
- seasonings. Stir in potatoes. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Dust with
- flour. Bring stew to a boil; drop dumplings onto stew. Cover and
- simmer for 30 minutes (do not lift cover). Serve immediately. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (calculated without additional all-purpose flour) equals 487 calories, 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 130 mg cholesterol, 1,486 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 38 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.