This is one of our most cherished dishes. My wife's aunt made it for us over 40 years ago.William Foster, Haverhill, New Hampshire
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds boneless beef top round steak
- 6 bacon strips, halved
- 12 small garlic dill pickles
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut steak into twelve 4-in. x 3-in. pieces; flatten to 1/4-in.
- thickness. Place a bacon piece and pickle along a short side of
- each; roll up and secure with toothpicks. In a skillet, heat 2
- tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Brown roll-ups on all sides.
- Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining oil. Stir in flour until
- smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until golden brown, about 5
- minutes. Gradually blend in broth and savory, stirring constantly.
- Return roll-ups to pan. Cover and cook over low heat for 1-1/2 hours
- or until tender. Season with salt and pepper. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 441 calories, 28 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 1,242 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 38 g protein.