Beef Barley Stew
Hearty and easy to fix, this thick stew, from Lisa Kolenicn of Regina, Saskatchewan, has a comforting, chili-like flavor. "It's my best barley recipe. I'm sure you'll agree that it's a tasty dish."
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the water, bouillon, chili powder and pepper. Bring to a
- boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12
- minutes or until barley is tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat through.
- Yield: 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 269 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 456 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.