Beef Barley Soup
This hearty barley soup is a favorite menu item in our house throughout the year. Everyone savors the flavor. —Elizabeth Kendall, Carolina Beach, North Carolina
9 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour 50 min.
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil; drain. Stir in the broth, water,
- barley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and parsley; cover and simmer for 45
- minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas; heat
- through. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 128 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 466 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein.