Beef Barley Soup
When making this soup, I tend to clean out the refrigerator by adding all kinds of leftovers. In fact, my family says they have to watch out for the kitchen sink!
12-14 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 cups beef broth
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups chopped cooked roast beef
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup frozen or canned peas
- 1/2 cup frozen or canned cut green or wax beans
- Seasoned salt to taste
- In a stockpot, combine the first 10 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the soup, peas and beans. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add
- seasoned salt. Yield: 12-14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 123 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 323 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.