Beef 'n' Braised Onion Sandwiches
These easy sandwiches have been a favorite of my four grown children since they were teenagers. They're wonderfully delicious and perfect for any occasion.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine or cider vinegar
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion rings
- 4 onion rolls or hamburger buns, split
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced roast beef
- 4 slices brick or Monterey Jack cheese (1 ounce each)
- In a skillet over medium heat, combine water, horseradish, oil and
- vinegar. Add onions; cook and stir until liquid is absorbed and
- onions are golden, about 12-14 minutes. Place bottom halves of rolls
- on a baking sheet; top with beef, onion mixture and cheese. Broil 4
- in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Replace
- roll tops. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One sandwich (prepared with lean roast beef and Monterey Jack cheese and served on a hamburger bun) equals 4 meat, 2 starch; also, 433 calories, 453 mg sodium, 103 mg cholesterol, 24 gm carbohydrate, 37 gm protein, 21 gm fat.