Beef & Spinach Gyros
A gyro typically is made of meat, often lamb, roasted on a spit and served sandwich style in folded pita bread. It's topped with tomato, onion and a Greek-style yogurt. Tradition takes a slight twist with the use of ground beef, spinach and ripe olives. Opa! —Mary Johnson, Coloma, Wisconsin
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Add the spinach, onions, olives and 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper; heat
- through. Stir in tomato; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise and remaining
- lemon-pepper. Line pita halves with lettuce; fill with beef mixture
- and feta cheese. Serve with yogurt sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2 filled pita halves with 1/4 cup sauce equals 453 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 1,027 mg sodium,