Beans and Barley Chili
Most folks have heard of barley soup, but this barley chili takes them by surprise. My variation features a delectable combination of beans and seasonings.
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cook barley according to package directions; drain. In a large
- saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil for 5 minutes. Add
- barley and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (calculated with no-salt-added stewed tomatoes) equals 209 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 242 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable.