Basil Tomato Soup
"Corn dresses up this quick and easy tomato soup," notes Alice Culberson of Kingsport, Tennessee. "My husband and two sonswho don't always care for souplike this as much as I do. It's a great way to use up end-of-summer tomatoes."
7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup uncooked small shell pasta
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 4-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium firm tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and garlic in
- oil for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add corn; saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in pasta and tomatoes until
- heated through. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 112 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 919 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 starch,