Basil-Tomato Grilled Cheese
The tastes of summer abound in this easy Italian-style grilled cheese sandwich from Sylvia Schmitt of Sun City, Arizona. Not only is the Basil-Tomato Grilled Cheese delicious, it's super-fast, too. Put together all four in about 20 minutes so you can get back to those summer outdoor activities. Says Sylvia, “I am always busy, especially around lunchtime, so I need something that is very quick and
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 8 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- On four slices of bread, layer cheese and tomatoes; sprinkle with the
- basil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Top with remaining bread.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, cheese and garlic powder; brush
- over the outsides of each sandwich.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches until golden
- brown on both sides and cheese is melted.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 467 calories, 27 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 723 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein.