Basil Red Pepper Sandwiches
Refreshing basil leaves dress up this hot and hearty sandwich from our Test Kitchen. With a tangy olive spread, sweet peppers and mozzarella cheese, the hand-held meals are ideal for picnics or tailgating.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 large pieces roasted sweet red peppers, patted dry
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted green olives
- Cut the top half off the loaf of bread; carefully hollow out top and
- bottom, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (save removed bread for another
- In a small bowl, combine lemon and 2 tablespoons oil. Spread over the
- cut side of bread top. Drizzle remaining oil inside bread bottom.
- Layer with the cheese, red pepper, basil and olives. Replace bread
- top. Wrap in foil.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted. Slice
- before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 570 calories, 27 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 1,248 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein.