Basil Baked Tomatoes
This recipe has been in our family for many years. My mother brought it with her when she came to the United States from Italy. When fresh tomatoes are plentiful, this is a great way to serve them.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 large tomatoes
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a small skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add bread
- crumbs; cook and stir until lightly browned. Remove from the heat.
- Cut tomatoes in half widthwise. Place cut side up in an 8-in. square
- baking dish. Sprinkle with basil and pepper; top with bread crumb
- mixture. Bake at 325° for 15-20 minutes or until tomatoes are
- slightly softened. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 tomato half equals 65 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 39 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.