Barley Pilaf with Bacon
“This is a tried-and-true recipe from my days working in an oat-and-barley flour mill,” says Lili Hill of Athens, Georgia. Chicken broth, onions and bacon lend wonderful flavor to the fiber-rich grain.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Cool, then
- Drain skillet, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings. In the drippings,
- saute the barley, onion and mushrooms until barley is lightly
- browned and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir
- in broth and pepper. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Stir in bacon; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until barley is tender and
- liquid is absorbed. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 157 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 356 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.