"Growing up on a farm, I was used to eating good wholesome food, including a variety of barley dishes," informs Alice Kaluzy of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. "This casserole was my first attempt at cooking with barley, The results were as yummy and comforting as I'd remembered."
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 7 green onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a large ovenproof skillet, saute the celery, carrots, onions and
- garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the barley, salt and pepper.
- Stir in 2-1/2 cups broth. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and remaining broth; sprinkle with almonds. Bake,
- uncovered, 30-40 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and
- barley is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 222 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 711 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber,