Barley Broccoli Soup
This original recipe of mine was a winner in a barley soup contest. Barley makes it hearty and nutritious - and it's a good way to use broccoli and asparagus from your garden.
I'm a member of Dairy Women of North Dakota and enjoy creating and collecting recipes in which I can use our farm's products. Along with our dairy operation, husband Ronald and I and our two sons grow barley, wheat, cor
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 3 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 cups fresh or frozen chopped broccoli or asparagus, cooked and drained
- 4 cups milk
- 5 slices American cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, optional
- In a saucepan, bring water, bouillon and barley to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until barley is tender
- and nearly all liquid is absorbed. Stir often but do not drain. Add
- broccoli or asparagus. Stir in milk, cheese, nutmeg and pepper. Add
- bacon if desired. Heat through, stirring often, until soup is hot
- and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with fat-free milk and without bacon) equals 145 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 620 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk.