Barbecued Turkey Sandwiches
These moist shredded turkey sandwiches from Barbara Smith of Columbus, Ohio are a welcome break from beef barbecue or sloppy joes. The turkey cooks in a tangy sauce made with ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 kaiser rolls, split
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add
- the turkey, water, ketchup, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce,
- mustard and paprika. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 15 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve on
- rolls. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 sandwich equals 340 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 637 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.