Barbecued Sage Spareribs
Folks love to see a huge platter of these tender barbecued ribs arrive at the table. Since the ribs are cooked ahead, they simply need to be browned and reheated on the grill. I love the easy last-minute preparation and magnificent results. Raves begin with the first bite.
6 ServingsPrep: 1-3/4 hours + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 6 pounds country-style pork spareribs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups barbecue sauce
- Place ribs in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Add onion, garlic,
- pickling spices, sage and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce
- heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
- Cool slightly; rinse ribs with water to remove spices. Reserve 1/2
- cup barbecue sauce. Pour remaining sauce into a large resealable
- plastic bag. Add ribs; cover and refrigerate overnight. Cover and
- refrigerate reserved barbecue sauce.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill ribs, uncovered, over medium heat,
- turning several times until heated through, about 10 minutes,
- basting frequently with remaining sauce. Yield: 6 servings.