- Sliced bananas, whipped cream and turbinado (washed raw) sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar until light
- and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each
- addition. Beat in the bananas, buttermilk, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed
- mixture just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at
- 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cupcake
- comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to
- wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the filling ingredients. Cut a small hole in
- the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a very small tip. Fill
- with caramel filling. Push the tip through the top to fill each
- For frosting, in a large saucepan, combine brown sugar and cream.
- Bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Stir in baking soda; cook and
- stir until smooth. Stir in butter and extract. Remove from the heat;
- cool slightly. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate for at least 30
- minutes or until chilled.
- Beat frosting on high until thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Top
- cupcakes with frosting, banana slices and whipped cream; sprinkle
- with turbinado sugar. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cupcake (calculated without garnishes) equals 389 calories, 14 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 284 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.