Banana Nut Bread
“I made up this recipe when I was vegetarian and didn’t eat eggs. It’s packed with fiber, omega-3s and soy protein, but tastes delicious! Silken tofu is a wonderful egg substitute.” —Brittany Carrington, Tehachapi, California
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 medium)
- 3/4 cup silken soft tofu
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl,
- beat the sugar, bananas, tofu, oil and and vanilla. Beat into dry
- ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- Transfer to an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake
- at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan
- to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 234 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 140 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.