Baking Powder Drop Biscuits
One day I had company coming and realized I had run out of biscuit mix. I'd never made biscuits from scratch before, but I decided to give this recipe a try. Now this is the only way I make them!
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in
- shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small
- bowl, whisk milk and egg. Stir into crumb mixture just until
- Drop by heaping spoonfuls 2 in. apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve
- warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 172 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.