Baked Sweet Onion Rings
“These are a real family favorite—especially when Vidalias are in season,” says Tonya Vowels of Vine Grove, Kentucky. "You can boost the flavor even more with seasoned breadcrumbs or a shake or two of different spices."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
- Place egg substitute in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish,
- combine the bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Dip onion rings into egg,
- then roll in crumb mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425°
- for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Yield: 4
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 66 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 312 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.