Baked Onion Rings
"My family loves the flavor of these homemade onion rings," comments Burlington, Michigan field editor Peggy Burdick. "The coating is delightfully seasoned."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; set aside. Cut
- onions into 1/2-in. thick slices. Separate into rings, reserving the
- small rings for another use. In a small bowl, beat egg substitute
- until frothy. Dip onion rings into egg, then into crumb mixture,
- coating well. Place in a single layer on baking sheets that have
- been coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes
- or until onions are tender and coating is crispy. Yield: about 6
Nutrition Facts: One serving (4 onion rings) equals 143 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 442 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.