Baked Mashed Potatoes
This is one comforting side dish that you can prepare ahead. My brother was always quick to dive into these creamy and fluffy potatoes when Mom served them with dinner. My sisters and I kept our eyes on him to be sure we'd get our fair share.
-Darlis Wilfer, Phelps, Wisconsin
4-6 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 large potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cream-style cottage cheese
- 5 green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers
- Cook potatoes until tender; drain. Place in a large bowl. Add milk,
- salt and 1 tablespoon butter; beat until light and fluffy. Fold in
- egg, sour cream, cottage cheese and onions. Place in a greased
- 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Combine the cracker crumbs and remaining
- butter; sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350°
- for 20-30 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned. Yield: 4-6
Editor's Note: This dish can be made ahead and refrigerated. Sprinkle crumbs on top just before baking.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 303 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 471 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.