This baked version of jalapeno poppers was developed by our home economists. The crunchy topping nicely complements the creamy filling.
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 8 jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup cornflake crumbs
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and cumin until smooth. Beat in
- Monterey Jack cheese and cilantro. Spoon into jalapeno halves.
- Place egg and cornflake crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip filling
- side of jalapenos in egg, then coat with crumbs.
- Place on a greased baking sheet with crumb side up. Bake at 350°
- for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 16 appetizers.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 58 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.