Baked Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
I COLLECT cookbooks and enjoy reading them much like a novel. But when I start cooking, I create my own recipes to suit my taste.
I used to cater parties and found I often had to be resourceful. This sandwich is one of my creations, so easy to cook for two and even one!
-Norma Curtis, Ithaca, Michigan
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 slices bread
- 2 slices fully cooked ham
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Fresh asparagus tips, cooked
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Place two slices of bread in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish or
- two individual baking dishes. Top each with a slice of ham and
- cheese; top with remaining bread.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk, mustard and parsley. Pour over
- sandwiches. Let stand for 5 minutes; carefully turn sandwiches over
- and let stand 5 minutes longer.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Top with asparagus
- and cheese if desired. Bake 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted
- and a knife inserted into the egg mixture comes out clean. Serve
- immediately. Yield: 2 servings.