We'd invited a couple of families over for dinner, and our daughter Joyce and her husband, Josh, said they were going to bring some fresh haddock. Josh wanted to find just the right recipe to prepare, and this is the one he chose. The topping--sliced plum tomatoes plus bread crumbs mixed with herbs and vegetables--adds nice flavor and color. It made a hit, and everyone really enjoyed the meal.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch dried tarragon
- Pinch crushed dried rosemary, optional
- 2 pounds haddock fillets
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- In a large skillet, saute onion and celery in butter for 3 minutes or
- until tender. Add mushrooms; saute 1 minute longer or until tender.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the bread crumbs, salt, pepper,
- tarragon and rosemary if desired.
- Place the fillets in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle
- with lemon juice. Spoon the bread crumb mixture onto fillets; top
- with tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or
- until fish flakes easily with a fork. Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon