Baked Cornmeal Dumplings
From Grace Yaskovic of Branchville, New Jersey, these big golden dumplings are delicious with stew or any type of dish with gravy.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 quart chicken broth
- Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Combine milk and oil;
- stir into dry ingredients. Bring broth to a boil; carefully transfer
- to a 2-1/2-qt. round baking dish. Drop batter in six mounds onto
- Cover and bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted into a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover
- while baking). Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 221 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 909 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.