Baked Cod with Mushrooms
“I created this when I was on a low carb diet,” writes Kim Thomas of Monahans, Texas. “It tastes delicious and is perfect as a light dish.” We think you'll agree! If you're sensitive to spicy foods, use a bit less jalapeno.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 small fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 2 cod fillets (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, jalapeno and onion in 2
- teaspoons butter until tender. Place fillets in an ungreased 8-in.
- square baking dish. Sprinkle with lemon-pepper, steak seasoning and
- bread crumbs. Top with mushroom mixture. Divide remaining butter and
- place on each fillet.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with
- cheese. Bake 5-8 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a
- fork. Yield: 2 servings.
Editor’s Notes: This recipe was tested with McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning. Look for it in the spice aisle.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cod fillet with 1/2 cup mushrooms equals 199 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 503 mg sodium,