Baked Apple Surprise
This sweet-savory recipe is a favorite. Use Brie instead of blue cheese if you like things creamier. My tip? Bake the apples in a muffin tin so they won’t roll around. —Jessica Levinson, South Nyack, New York
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 medium apples
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons bran flakes
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Cut apples in half lengthwise; remove cores. Place in an ungreased
- 8-in. square baking dish. Fill each half with 1 teaspoon blue
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, bran flakes, golden raisins,
- raisins and brown sugar; spoon into apples. Top with remaining
- cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until
- tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2 filled apple halves equals 181 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 141 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.