Bacon Onion Bread
This savory bread features a tender interior and golden-brown crust. Serve it alongside Christmas dinner…or slice it for sandwiches at a holiday potluck or buffet.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 5 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup finely crumbled cooked bacon
- 4-1/2 teaspoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
- manufacturer. Select French bread setting. Choose crust color and
- loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions
- (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds).
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 109 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 213 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.