Bacon-Gouda Stuffed Onions
Serve these tender sweet and savory onions as a side with steak. For an added splash, drizzle everything with any leftover buttery pan juices from baking the onions. It’s sooo good! —Barb Templin, Norwood, Minnesota
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 4 large sweet onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Minced chives
- Cut a 1/4-in. slice from the top and bottom of each onion. Peel
- onions. Carefully cut and remove the center of each onion, leaving a
- 1/2-in. shell; discard removed onion or save for another use.
- Place onions in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with
- salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or
- until onions are tender. Combine the bacon, cheese and butter; spoon
- into onions. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is
- melted. Sprinkle with chives. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 stuffed onion equals 308 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 553 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein.