Field editor Pat Stevens of Granbury, Texas dresses up traditional bruschetta with popular BLT sandwich fixin's. The maple bacon adds a tasty dimension. You could also substitute mesquite-flavored bacon, Pat notes.
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 5 maple-flavored bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup finely chopped seeded tomato
- 1/2 cup finely chopped leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (10-1/2 ounces) French bread baguette
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine the bacon, tomato, lettuce, 2 tablespoons
- pesto, basil, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Cut baguette into 36 slices; place on ungreased baking sheets. Brush
- with oil.
- Bake at 400° for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown. Spread with
- remaining pesto; top each slice with 2 teaspoons bacon mixture.
- Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 69 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 111 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.