Autumn Power Porridge
This rib-sticking porridge is made with oats and protein-rich quinoa. Added pumpkin, maple syrup, walnuts and dried cranberries make it a kid-friendly breakfast.Jennifer Wickes, Pine Beach, New Jersey
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, oats, quinoa and salt. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the pumpkin, pie spice and agave nectar. Remove from the
- heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until water is absorbed
- and grains are tender. Stir in cranberries and walnuts. Serve with
- milk if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (calculated without milk) equals 361 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 9 g protein.