- vegetables; skim fat. Remove meat from bones; cut chicken into
- bite-size pieces and set aside. Discard bones.
- In the same pan, cook and stir oil and flour over medium heat until
- caramel-colored, about 14 minutes (do not burn). Add finely chopped
- onion; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Gradually stir in broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Carefully stir in sausage and reserved chicken. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in okra and oysters. Simmer,
- uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or just until okra is tender. Stir
- in file powder. Serve with rice. Yield: 20 servings (1-1/4 cups
Editor's Note: Gumbo file powder, used to thicken and flavor Creole recipes, is available in spice shops. If you don't want to use gumbo file powder, combine 2 tablespoons each cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually stir into gumbo. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/4 cups (calculated without rice) equals 319 calories, 19 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 990 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.