Au Gratin Potatoes
A friend gave me this recipe when I needed a potato dish for a potluck. That was many years ago, but I still get compliments whenever someone tries it for the first time.
12-15 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 12 medium red or white potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Peel potatoes and coarsely shred. Combine the salt, pepper and garlic
- salt. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and
- salt mixture. Sprinkle with cheese; pour cream over all. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until golden. Yield: 12-15
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1/2 cup) equals 174 calories, 10 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.