Asparagus Potato Soup
"This creamy and comforting soup is a terrific way to warm up on a cold or rainy day," writes Sherry McKellar of Springville, Utah. Hearty bowls featuring tender potatoes and asparagus get a special touch when topped with bacon and cheddar cheese.
6-7 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan or soup kettle, combine the potatoes, asparagus,
- onion, celery, bouillon and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir
- in the butter.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cream, milk, salt and pepper until smooth;
- add to the vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened. Garnish with bacon and cheese. Yield:
- 6-7 servings.