Asparagus Cheese Soup for Two
Although I came from a large family, I had to adjust to cooking for two during the years I had a roommate. This soup is a springtime favorite.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 slices process American cheese, cut up
- 1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
- In a small skillet, combine 1 cup water, bouillon, seasoned salt,
- lemon-pepper and white pepper. Add asparagus. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until asparagus is
- tender. Remove asparagus; cool slightly.
- Cut off several asparagus tips and set aside. Cut remaining asparagus
- into larger pieces. Place asparagus pieces and cooking liquid in a
- blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. In a
- saucepan, combine asparagus mixture and remaining water; heat
- through. Reduce heat; stir in cheese just until melted. Garnish with
- bacon bits and reserved asparagus tips. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 169 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,234 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.