Asparagus 'n' Vinaigrette
"Living in the Midwest, we anticipate spring treats like fresh asparagus all winter long," affirms Mickey Kelly, Burnsville, Minnesota. "Our three small children can't help but snitch a taste when this dish is chilling in the fridge. I use the vinaigrette dressing on salads, sliced tomatoes and other steamed vegetables as well."
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket. Place in a saucepan over 1 in.
- of water; bring to a boil. Cover; steam for 4-6 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Immediately rinse in cold water. Place asparagus and
- green onions in a bowl.
- Whisk together the oil, vinegar, teriyaki sauce, sugar, salt and
- pepper. Pour over asparagus mixture; toss to coat. Cover and
- refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Stir before serving. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 74 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 206 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.