Apricot Round Steak
Looking for a fun alternative to traditional steak sauce? In Harpster, Ohio, Bernadine Dirmeyer serves tender slices of round steak with a sweet apricot sauce that has a hint of pepper. The broiled entree is a snap to prepare and easy on the pocketbook, too, at only 53 cents a serving.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 beef top round steak (3/4 inch thick and 1-3/4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Broil beef for 6-8 minutes on each side. Meanwhile, in a small
- saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Cook until preserves are melted. Set aside 1/2 cup; brush remaining
- sauce over steak.
- Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until meat reaches desired doneness (for
- medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium,
- 160°; well-done, 170°). Slice meat on the diagonal; serve
- with reserved apricot sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (4 ounces) equals 196 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 188 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 23 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.