When I was in college, my roommate's mother sent these flaky horns in a holiday care package. I've been making them ever since. When I mail them to my parents, I put an equal number in two tins labeled "his" and "hers" so there's no squabbling over who gets more. Tamyra Vest, Scottsburg, Virginia
48 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cut butter into flour until the mixture resembles
- coarse crumbs. Beat egg yolk and sour cream; add to crumb mixture
- and mix well. Chill several hours or overnight.
- Divide dough into fourths. On a sugared surface, roll each portion
- into a 10-in. circle. Turn dough over to sugar top side. Combine
- preserves, coconut and pecans; spread over circles. Cut each circle
- into 12 wedges and roll each wedge into a crescent shape, starting
- at the wide end. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Place points down 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at
- 350° for 15-17 minutes or until set and very lightly browned.
- Immediately remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 76 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 44 mg sodium,