Apricot Berry Shortcake
"This is a fun an convenient alternative to traditional strawberry shortcake," notes field editor Marion Lowery of Medford, Oregon. "It's a delightful dessert that's easy to assemble using purchased sponge cakes."
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 cup fresh raspberries and/or blackberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Dash salt
- 2 individual round sponge cakes
- Whipped cream
- In a small bowl, combine the berries, sugar and nutmeg. Cover and
- refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, cook and stir the jam, butter and salt over low
- heat until butter is melted. In a microwave, warm the sponge cakes
- on high for 20 seconds; place on serving plates. Top with berry
- mixture and drizzle with apricot sauce. Top with a dollop of whipped
- cream. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 shortcake equals 253 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 283 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.