Apricot Angel Dessert
In Vulcan, Michigan, Beverly King tops cubes of fluffy angel food cake with canned apricot halves and a yummy sauce. "This light dessert is particularly good after a heavy meal," she says.
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces), cubed
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) apricot halves, drained and diced
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups apricot nectar
- 1 package (.3 ounces) sugar-free orange gelatin
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- Place the cake cubes in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish; top with
- apricots. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar substitute,
- cornstarch and apricot nectar until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in gelatin until dissolved.
- Pour over cake and apricot. Cover and chill for 3 hours or until
- gelatin is set. Spread with whipped topping. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving equals 202 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 187 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.