Applesauce Drop Doughnuts
"I made these tasty cake doughnuts often when our children were growing up," says Frances Poste of Wall, South Dakota. "They're quick and easy."
60 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- applesauce and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon
- and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with
- milk (the batter will be thick).
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop
- teaspoonfuls of batter a few at a time into hot oil. Fry until
- golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels; roll in sugar
- while warm.