Apple Walnut Slaw
A co-worker shared this recipe with me. Now it's a family favorite. Apples, walnuts and raisins are a fun way to dress up colesalw.
Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 to 5 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium apples, chopped
- In a large salad bowl, toss the cabbage, carrots, walnuts, raisins
- and onion. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, buttermilk,
- sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pour over cabbage mixture and
- toss to coat. Gently fold in apples. Cover and refrigerate until
- serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 243 calories, 17 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 251 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.