My family loves these pork chops. The apple slices and juice keep the meat moist and tender, while the raisins, brown sugar and other spices give it a wonderful flavor. I make this for guests and they never fail to ask for the recipe - it's a palate-pleaser every time!
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 6 pork chops (3/4 to 1 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup raisins, divided
- 3 medium apples, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large skillet, brown pork chops in oil over medium heat. Place
- in an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Place onion rings over the chops.
- Sprinkle with two-thirds of the raisins. Arrange the apple slices on
- top and sprinkle with remaining raisins. Combine the apple juice,
- brown sugar, salt, basil, nutmeg and cloves; pour over all. Cover
- and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer
- or until meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.